Deliverability Reminders: Improving Your Opt-in Process
The truth is... we can all improve our list collection process. Whether it's streamlining it, gathering better data for segmentation, setting better expectations for your subscribers, and so on...
Going into the holiday season is a great time to audit your processes, make any changes to your existing program, and strategize for new lead generation campaigns into the holidays and 2018.
A few things to think about.
1. Are all of your messages in autoresponders relevant, current and up to date? A short while ago, we were working with a consulting client and went through all of her campaigns and messages. We discovered that some of them hadn't been changed in years and were no longer current (for example, she mentioned her boyfriend. When I mentioned I thought they were married, she was surprised! She said they'd been married for more than 7 years and have 2 boys together!) It's worth a once a year audit on all campaigns to make sure the messages are relevant, links are working, etc.
2. Are you subscribers crystal clear on what they are signing up for? If they're signing up for a free video, then give them the video and don't automatically include them in a sales pitch promo 7 days a week... Let them opt-in for the additional emails.
- You can offer a special one click link in the welcome message with the video link that automatically tags them and allows additional messages.
- Offer an internal co-reg option where they check boxes for the different subscriptions they want to access.
3. Does your opt-in follow up sequence have a process to gather additional information that you can use to better segment your list? Consider gathering useful information in the form of short surveys, action tracking, and more. Then, use this to carefully craft sequences and broadcasts for various segments in your list.
Ultimately, you want to create a smooth process for your subscribers, set clear expectations, find ways to engage them with content that they want to receive, and ultimately exchange value (i.e. you provide them with information and opportunities that they want and they, in turn, pay you for products, services, consulting, etc.)
For over a decade Heather Seitz used email marketing to build successful companies and had to solve the biggest barrier to consistent profitability: deliverability. Today, she is the Co-Founder and CEO of Email Delivered.
For more information on improving your opt-in process, visit http://www.emaildelivered.com/improving-your-opt-process/. Remember to sign up for the FREE Email Delivered Pulse newsletter for articles, tips, and recommended resources for email marketers.
How to Get Your Emails to the Inbox
If you want to get more of your emails to the inbox, you need to know the secrets that the Email Service Providers AREN’T willing to tell you. For a limited time, I’m sharing some select tips that top Internet Marketers know... for FREE.
Here’s what you’ll get right now...
- The How to Guide for getting your emails back to the inbox.
- How to find (and improve) your email “reputation” (how the ISPs see you).
- 5 Email KILLERS that your email service provider is purposely hiding from you.